iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Spinning Top Hall of Fame video tour  (Read 7312 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
The Spinning Top Hall of Fame video tour
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »

Here is a video of Mike's Spinning Top Hall of Fame. The night of the festival most of us visited the hall but unfortunately I did not film or take pictures at that time.  It was more than what I expected and I am sure it is going to get better with time.

Tour of the Spinning Top Hall of Fame:

You may not have seen it in person yet, perhaps never will, but you probably are already  there in some way or another or will in the future . . .

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: The Spinning Top Hall of Fame video tour
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 07:34:28 PM »

Mike, what a great collection of memorabilia, the Spinning Top Hall of Fame is awesome. 
I can't wait for the Grand Opening of Top Land!

Thank you ta0 for filming it and posting it for all of us.

lincolnrick

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »

I sure hope to get to get to the Hall of Fame someday.  Looks awesome.

poptop

• Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 09:38:03 PM »

I laughed, I cried, I twirled...

Nice work Mike!  I hope to visit someday.
Erratic Wobbler

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »

Nice.  It is surprising how certain things catch your attention when you are there and you completely miss others.  I made two passes through and saw a lot of stuff in the video that I completely overlooked in person.  Perhaps we'll schedule another visit soon so that TML can see it before he leaves permanently in November.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 11:42:03 PM »

Thats alot of trompo stuff, great museum Mike, and thanks for the video ta0
I hope to one day see it in person

Eric

• Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 12:11:19 AM »

Wow!..........................Truly amazing Mike, well done.
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

the Earl of Whirl

• Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 02:26:57 AM »

Everyone is so nice.  I appreciate your kind words.  I have been kind of nervous about having any pictures of "the Hall"  since the imagination is more powerful than any visuals.  Besides that, my wife thinks it's a bit wild.  And here I thought the wildness is what she liked about me!

I'm so glad the video didn't pick up any of the cobwebs.  I've got a few very busy spiders in there.  And the one end is an old garage door that still lets in some dust around the edges.  So the space isn't perfect but it is moving in the right direction.  I have always hated not doing anything with that area.  For quite a while I had all kinds of odds and ends in there that brought back memories and smiles.  I have slowly been getting rid of some of that, in case you wonder what the connection is with some things in there and top spinning. 

As my step daughter says, "you haven't even started adding lights yet".........

Happiness runs in a circular motion!

the Earl of Whirl

• Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 02:39:04 AM »

I just did some google searches to see if the top spinning hall of fame came up anywhere.  It didn't, so I may not have to worry about parking space and strangers stopping by at all hours yet.  But I did run across this interesting video about spinning and a sports hall of fame.  I am sure I would get a lot more visitors if I used their advertising!!!

Daveid

• pinwheels
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 05:17:39 AM »

You're awesome Mike.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

jim in paris

• Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 11:54:29 AM »

howdie mike !

it's like being invited in your secret lobby ;) thanx for sharing this very special place !!
the 1 st minutes got me sea sick, but after a while you get used to and realize that the camera operator wanted to merry-go-round the viewers..it works quite a bit :o
i had not realized that the hall of fame was so full !!..really have to come and visit one day....

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Pulp

• Global Moderator
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: Regen bastones.
    • Foro del trompo
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 12:16:13 PM »

A second wiew pushing sometimes the stop button is much better.

Congratulations Mike, all that top stuff is awesome!
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Spinningray

• Woodtops
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »

Very nice place you have there Mike. I simply must visit some day.
Do you have Rob Tsou's first big top in there?

the Earl of Whirl

• Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 02:07:23 PM »

I am very weak in some areas.  I have nothing about Rob Tsou in there....yet!  And very little about Eric Wolf, also.  I am not really looking for tops, though.  We already have a top museum and great collections at people's homes.  I am interested in top spinners and their stories and comments and items that shed light on their personalities.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »

the 1 st minutes got me sea sick,
I am sorry. The video is jerky because it is played at 2X. My experience is that long videos discourage comments (as people need to get back to work after over-extending their breaks). Perhaps I should have uploaded two versions: hectic for the ADD crowd and leisure for the pulpowsky crowd  :P

it's like being invited in your secret lobby ;) thanx for sharing this very special place !!
Yes, thanks Mike. It is like giving away a secret but considering that many of the top players that truly can appreciate this may never be able to visit, I think it is good to put it out there. Now, there is already somebody on youtube asking if there is public access . . . ::)

I came back from Ohio and left two days later for Spain, so I did not have time to finish reporting about the experience. I stayed until Monday afternoon so I got to experience some of the awesomeness that Mike is.  Who parks the cars in the street but has the garage full of unicycles, not counting a professional wire walking gig? Who at work keeps several penny-farthing bikes (first time I ride one) and a goldfish in training (to go through a loop when fed)?  Who else pole-vaults with one hand while holding a spinning top on the other? I saw it myself when he took me to his pole vaulting coaching at the high-school. I could also see the hurdles he uses. By the way, if you look in the Ripley's Believe It or Not book that appears on the video, there is his (first) Guinness World Record.  Who else who is not a parent goes to every meet of the cross country high-school team just to cheer them (we went together)?

Sunday morning Mike spurred Mark Hayward and myself to come to mass and throw tops! We were very hesitant to do it, sat in the very back. But when the children sermon came, there we were throwing Chubby and Figaro between the altar and the pews. And at the very end of the mass, Mike changed a song to include the verb "spinning", and there we were again, doing bearing tricks in front of a mostly older Lutheran congregation.  :o

I got to visit the bell tower (like Mark had already done in another visit) and have a video throwing the top inside. Yes, we rang the real bell while there but also the virtual bells (speakers) went off so it was pretty loud. Then I got to climb the inside wall almost to the top of the steeple (the dust on the beams, from a fire and 100+ year accumulation was pretty nasty). And of course, I got to eat at Chipotle  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 02:58:34 PM by ta0 »